Wednesday, September 1, 2010

The Beginning of a Grand Adventure

A lot has happened since my last post - I even made it to London!

I had a busy Sunday through Tuesday, full of packing and "not-really-goodbyes" - I was only allowed to check one 50 lb bag and carry on my backpack, so I had to go through several re-packings in order to get my suitcase down to the required weight!

My first day has already begun reminding me of all the wonderful reasons I love London. Cassie Walton, a fellow Drury-ite and I walked from Regent's Park to Oxford Street. Then we crossed over to Hyde Park and watched the ducks before braving the Tube and eating dinner in a cute pub closer to Regent's! Hopefully I'll look more like a local by the time December rolls around. We definitely had TOURIST stamped all over us today! We even asked a policeman where Platform 9 3/4 was located because it isn't between 9 and 10!

Unfortunately, I left my camera in Cassie's backpack tonight when we split on the Tube to go back to our separate hotels, so most pictures will have to wait until tomorrow...

My sister made a surprise visit to Springfield on Monday - the night before I flew out. She was sitting in the Mudhouse when I went to meet my parents for coffee - I love my family so much. This was the present she brought me:

She and Derek put their heads together & came up with their favorite places in London to create this map!



Do I not have the most amazing sister? She worked so hard putting this together - I can't wait to use it to go exploring...


And just a taste of today's outing - Cassie and I ate at Pret a Manger, her favorite new cafe (complete with free wifi!). This particular picture was taken on Oxford Street, just across from the Marble Arch.


More to come soon!

4 comments:

  1. Yay. You got to see your sis again! and of course they made a map.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Awesome!! Have fun Molly!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Amy Hoffman-Franks7:58 PM, September 02, 2010

    Did the cafe serve mashed peas? Oooh! I think that is a British staple. I enjoyed the fish and chips when I was there! Have fun!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Amy - I haven't seen mashed peas yet...I'm sure that I will see them soon now that I'm on the lookout though! We have some very interesting food in our refectory! I'll have to do a blog about food sometime. :)

    ReplyDelete